Our golden years often thought of as a time of life after retirement from active work, and when homes, cars and credit cards should be all paid off. It should be time spent spoiling grandchildren, taking long trips around the world, resting and waking up at what ever hour we want. Instead, we find that most of our seniors are still working trying to make ends meet and those not working are living on a fixed income that may not support all their basic needs such as rent, food, transportation and medications. Taking advantage of community resources can cut expenses and help save money for other expenditures.
Following is a list of programs for which you may qualify:
- Rental assistance for low-income seniors is available from several U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development senior programs as well as other state and local agencies. Visit HUD.gov for more details.
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance programs, provides grants to help pay utility bills. To see if you qualify, contact your local utility company.
- Prescription Drug Assistance Programs. Most pharmaceutical companies offer patient assistance programs that provide uninsured and low-income access to prescription drugs they couldn’t otherwise afford. Ask your doctor, pharmacist or health clinic for more details.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as food stamps), helps millions of lower-income seniors buy nutritious food each month. Visit www.fns.usda.gov/snap for qualification requirements.
- Local senior centers often provide low and no cost activities such as health and fitness, recreational activities, travel excursions and other workshops and classes.
Some communities offer senior transportation programs to drive senior citizens to and from special events, doctor’s appointments and various other activities. These programs vary from city to city so you would need to check with your city website for transportation options for senior citizens.
Remember to always take advantage of senior discounts. Asking is the first step to saving.